ExPat Tax Information and Filings

ExPat Americans living in New Zealand or other countries may have questions about their US tax liability. Finding someone to help you with those issues can be very difficult.

We've had a number of e-mails about filing American taxes. We suggest that you contact Joe Peterson. Joe is an accountant and attorney based in California, who specialized in offshore tax matters for American employees of Bank of America who were working overseas.

Along with your name and contact information please answer the following questions:

  1. Are you a U.S. citizen?
  2. 2.When did you last reside in the US?
  3. When did you begin residence in your current location?
  4. What was the last year you filed a US income tax return?
  5. Are you currently working in NZ (or another country)?
  6. Are you working for a company or are you self-employed?
  7. What was the last year you filed a New Zealand (or other country) tax return?
  8. Are you familiar with the US taxation rules of US citizens residing abroad?
  9. Would you like any explanation of the general US tax rules?
  10. A US citizen residing abroad is granted an automatic extension until June 15th each year. In order to receive an additional six-month extension, Form 4868 must be submitted to the IRS.
  11. Has an extension request for the current year?
  12. Are you familiar with the "Foreign Bank Account Report" ("FBAR" report)?
  13. Are you familiar with the "Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Asset " reporting requirements?

E-mail Joe Peterson for a no-obligation consultation.